Monday, March 30, 2015

Pages 82-110

Pg. 84
"There was some pain, no doubt, but in the morning Curt Lemon was all smiles."

This was the last sentence in the short chapter called "The Dentist." I liked this quote because it's simple but uplifting. Curt Lemon overcame his fear of the dentist by telling them to yank out a tooth that was perfectly fine! Now how many people would actually have the courage to do that? Even though he didn't necessarily have to go through pain, as long as he was happy and smiling is all that matters.

Pg. 106
"I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark--I'm on fire almost--I'm burning away into nothing--but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am. You can't feel like that anywhere else."

This book does not feature many women so I thought that this quote was very powerful especially because it came from Mary Anne. (She comes to visit her boyfriend Mark Fossie) When she arrived she was curious and interested to learn about the war. Towards the end of the chapter she becomes involved with the Greenies and claims that she has found herself through the war. I found it intriguing when she explained how she knows exactly who she is. Everyone dreams to know themselves and I felt happy for her because she achieved that goal. Also, many people are affected by the war, but for her she was affected in a reinforcing positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment