Monday, March 30, 2015

Pages 111-130

Pg. 119
"He would have been taught that to defend the land was a man's highest privilege. He had accepted this . It was never open to question. Secretly, though, it also frightened him. He was not a fighter. His health was poor, his body small and frail. He liked books. He wanted someday to be a teacher of mathematics. At night, lying on his mat, he could not picture himself doing the brave things his father had done, or his uncles, or the heroes of the stories. He hoped in his heart that he would never be tested. He hoped the Americans would go away. Soon, he hoped. He kept hoping and hoping, always, even when he was asleep."

I think that this quote is significantly important because oftentimes we don't hear this side of a soldiers story. What really stood out to me was the line "he could not picture himself doing the brave things his father had done, or his uncles, or the heroes of the stories." This soldier was afraid and had low expectations of himself, now that's not something you hear about everyday. A soldier usually is brave and has confidence, it's interesting to read about the situation in a different way. He didn't deny the truth, instead with honesty he admitted that he was weak.

Pg.127
"The grenade was to make him go away-just evaporate-and I leaned back and felt my head go empty and then felt it fill up again. I had already thrown the grenade before telling myself to throw it. The brush was thick and I had to lob it high, not aiming, and I remember the grenade seeming to freeze above me for an instant, as if a camera had clicked, and I remember ducking down and holding my breath and seeing little wisps of fog rise from the earth."

I chose to share this quote because it's the reality of war. I haven't read many books like The Things They Carried, so I found this passage especially engaging. My favorite part is when he describes the feeling "as if a camera had clicked." It is amazing to read (hear,see,etc.) about those "snapshot" experiences.

1 comment:

  1. The writing in this novel is very unique, and your explanation really puts that idea into perspective.

    ReplyDelete