Monday, March 30, 2015

Pages 180-207

Pg. 183
"When you're afraid, really afraid, you see things you never saw before, you pay attention to the world. You make close friends. You become part of a tribe and you share the same blood-you give it together, you take it together."

Friendship. What a wonderful thing. I liked this quote because it reminded me of my youth group and the mission trips we go on every summer. I have met so many wonderful people  because of it and have had the best experiences with them. We form deep friendships in just one week! "You give it together, you take it together."

Pg.195
"Psychology-that was one thing I knew. You don't try to scare people in broad daylight. You wait. Because the darkness squeezes you inside yourself, you get cut off from the outside world, the imagination takes over. That's basic psychology. I'd pulled enough night guard to know how the fear factor gets multiplied as you sit there hour after hour, nobody to talk to, nothing to do but stare into the big black hole at the center of your own sorry soul. The hours go by and you lose your gyroscope; your mind starts to roam."

I wanted to share this quote because I thought that many people could relate to this. Why does the darkness scare people? Maybe because we can't see what's in front or behind us, but what we can see is "inside ourselves." (And that's pretty scary for some) The author explains the darkness as a time of self reflection, which I could relate to. When you're with people, you're less scared of the dark just like when you were a little kid. But when we find ourselves alone we start to wonder about every little thing that could be possible, or maybe the impossible. We may dream of the perfect future, or we may cry over the recent difficulties we have faced. Darkness can be a wonderful and terrible thing.

1 comment:

  1. I found this section very intriguing as well. When I was reading this I couldn't help but relate it to my life as well. Something O'Brien does beautifully with his writing is that he makes the content so relatable, even when the subject matter is something we may have never experienced.

    ReplyDelete